Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Way to Mundelein

Andrew had mentioned to me before that he'd like one day to ride to his parents' place in Mundelein, IL from his home in Chicago. He also mentioned that they were wanting for him to come and visit this past Sunday. In August, I rode my first century with David, and so I've been a little cocky. We decided to ride the 39mi there for the visit, and then ride the 39mi back. 


This is one of the many sculpture exhibits along the Skokie Northshore Channel Trail. I'm lucky enough to call a portion of this trail part of my daily commute.


We were surprised when he was researching our route, just how much of it was bike path. We spent VERY little time in any kind of traffic.


 Going under!


And going over!


Hmm... where'd the trail go!?


 We didn't meet any red-wing blackbirds, and it's too bad. They're some of my favorite birds.


Holy crap! Lambs Farm is a LONG way from home!


The path along Rt176 was gravelly. I remember driving down 176 when I used to drive and catching glimpses of cyclists on it here and there. As a driver back then, it had never occurred to me to ride on it, myself.


 TA-DAAAA! We made it!

On the way there, it took us 5 hours with the 12mph headwind, smoke breaks and general floundering.

On the way home, it took more like 4 hours... it seemed the wind was still somewhat against us, and we stopped for coffee and to eat. And it was COLD! 

The next day I was stiff in the knees and my shoulders were sore. Andrew had no complaints to speak of. 

1 comment:

  1. I posted my few photos of the ride at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=215609&id=659218554&l=be5235af3c

    ReplyDelete