Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Clothes for Cold Commuting

Yesterday, I had a 17mph headwind. The official temperature was 16 degrees outside, the windchill was 6, and I was riding headlong into that.

I was sleepy, grumpy and whining to David in the morning as we were both getting ready to ride off to work. He told me about the weather and I told him that I was sick and tired of the chilly NW winds in the morning. He told me that if they were coming from the other direction, then it would mean it's getting warmer... but in Chicago, during the first week in December, it's all downhill from here.

Here's What I Wore:

Over the knee cotton socks, two pairs
Fluffy, stretchy, microfiber crew socks (Three pairs of socks, total!)
Moon boots (My favorite pink ones!)
Cotton, capri-length, stretchy leggings
Long jeans tucked into boots
Knee length cotton/lycra skirt
Bra
Camisole top
Long sleeve ribbed shirt
Awesome orange knit wool hoodie (Very warm!)
Synthetic-fill puffy vest (Yellow for visibility!)
Ski gloves
Ski goggles
Scarf
Earwarmers
Fleece balaclava (courtesy of BikeWinter.org!)

Oh yeah, and underwear.

This sounds like a lot of stuff, but if I were to go out in this and stand around, I would get cold. Consider that my arms have only a layer of ribbed cotton shirt and knit wool hoodie. When it feels like 6 degrees out, I'd want to be wearing more. But when riding my bike, warming up, this is perfect.

Also, please note that I was wearing a skirt. I'm headed to work, and this is part of my work outfit. The jeans are not, the orange hoodie is not... a lot is not. But I was already wearing most of my work clothes.

What my work outfit was, was the boots, the socks, the leggings, the bra, the underwear, the camisole and an extra knit hoodie stashed in my bag, one I didn't sweat in and possibly stink all up. I keep a plain, black pair of mary janes under my desk for days that my outfit would clash with whatever boots I'm wearing.

I used to bring all new clothes. All new socks, separate pants; I would stash my skirt in my bag. I wouldn't really attempt to integrate my work clothes with my riding clothes at all, but I would curse the inconvenience of changing. I don't wear a special sport bra. I don't wear special riding pants. If I sweat, I'll dry off. If my deodorant is good, I won't stink. It's really not a big deal.

People think it has to be a huge production, with a shower and fresh underwear and all, but it really doesn't. And with this setup I've got going on, all I have to do when I get to work, is take off my gear, jeans, vest, fluffy socks, hoodie, long-sleeved shirt... and put on the fresh jacket. I can do all this in the coat room. I'm never once naked or "indecent."

You really just have to be creative, and remember that tights ARE layers, and your underwear WILL dry. Winter riding to work, and just riding to work in general, isn't half as icky as many people think. If you are dressed just right, snug as a bug in subzero weather, the bulletproof feeling is exhilarating and well worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment