Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Repertoire of Fun

I'm 29 years old and I've spent most of my life on a diet. After the 1st grade, my mother had pulled me out of grade school to home school me when I consistently came home crying because the other kids picked on me and called me fat (I wasn't). When Richard Simmons came out with Sweatin' to the Oldies and Deal-a-Meal in 1988 or so, my mom and I were doing it. That means I might've been about 8 when my mom and I were dieting together.

I eventually discovered that all the times I decided to diet because I wanted to be skinny or because I wanted to be sexy, I have failed. Wanting to be skinny just because other people told me I wasn't, I failed. Only the times when I was motivated by not wanting to die young, or wanting to be able to run, or wanting to be one of those sassy, spry little old ladies, only then was I able to make lasting changes and develop good habits.

Even more recently, and I'm going to put on my Captain Obvious cap for this one, I discovered, it's got to be fun or else I won't do it. Some people have discipline. I do not. The main reason I get up in the morning and ride my bike to work (besides that it's faster, cheaper and healthy) is because it's fun.

It's fun for me to ride it in the rain.
It's fun for me to ride it in the dark.
It's fun for me to ride it in the cold.
It's fun for me to ride it naked.
I would ride it in a box/with a fox...

And I have the hoop. I am building my repertoire of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment